Sunday, December 5, 2010

10 Gallons

I have a standing appointment every other Saturday morning to donate platelets at the local blood bank.  I have been questioned several times about why I do this, let's just say it's something I believe in and something I will do as often as I can until I'm told I can't any longer.  Anyways, I was looking down at the little slip of paper they gave me (I get one like it on every visit) that has all the little details they feel is important for me to have each visit.  This paper has phone numbers in case I get sick, my blood pressure, my blood type, all sorts of tidbits.  It also has the number of times I've donated.  When I commented on the number to the nurse she looked at it and said, "Yeah, your next visit will be your 10 gallon donation."

10 gallons?  I don't know about you but if I line 10 one gallon jugs of milk up in a line I think that's a lot of milk.  It was easy enough to do, I just sit in a chair for 90 minutes to 2 hours while I watch a movie.  They hook me up to a machine that does all the work.  I can see just about any movie I want and I don't have to pay $10.50 to see it.  Then they feed me.  What a deal! 

It saves lives everyday.  I have a friend whose life was saved by a platelet donation.  It's so easy to do I don't understand why more people don't do it (aside from medical restrictions and fear of needles).

I know why I do it, that's the important part for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment