Saturday, October 23, 2010

John 15:1-4

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.  He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit He prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.  You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you.  Remain in me, and I will remain in you.  No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine.  Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me."

God has a purpose for my life.  I'm not quite sure what it is yet because I have let my life get in the way.  I've been too focused on myself to be able to hear the still, small voice of God.  Even the things I believed He put into my life got in the way of listening to Him.  Now it's time to clean out my life of all that extra stuff.  That means not only cleaning out my closets and drawers but also paring away the relationships in my life that are pulling me down.  Some of them are very dear to me but they are toxic, they are causing me a great deal of pain and anguish and therefore must go.  This is not an arbitrary clean-up.  Some of these relationships have been around for years and I have expended a great deal of time and energy witnessing to them.  But it's very possible that I am not supposed to be the one to bring in that harvest.  Other relationships have been shorter in term but just as precious to me.  I need to cut them loose now so that I can clear noise between God and myself.

I'm not going to name names here or point fingers.  Let's just say that if you have dropped out of my life in the past several weeks or if you find yourself dropping out of my life in the next few weeks you may want to consider looking for those divine pruning shears.  (It doesn't matter whether it was your your idea, my idea or someone else's idea, it was all God's idea.)  To some of you I hope that God reintroduces us again in the future.  To others, I am glad to see your backside.  I will leave it to you to figure out which group you belong in.

No comments:

Post a Comment